Lee Fritz Randolph (1880-1956)
Born in Ravenna, OH on June 3, 1880. Randolph studied at the Stevenson Art School in Pittsburgh, Cincinnati Art Academy under Duveneck and Noble, and the ASL in NYC under Cox and Bridgman. He then spent four years studying in Rome and six years in Paris at Académie Julian under Laurens and Ecole des Beaux Arts under Bonnat and Merson.
His first visit to California was in 1909, but it was in 1913 that he relocated there, living for a while on the Monterey Peninsula and then in San Francisco. He taught at UC Berkeley in 1915-16 and in 1917 began a 25 year tenure as director of the CSFA.
Upon retirement, Randolph again lived in Carmel where he was active with the local art association. He died in Monterey, CA on Sept. 3, 1956.
Member: Chicago Society of Etchers; Buffalo Society of Artists; Calif. Society of Etchers; Bohemian Club.
Exhibited: Sorosis Club, 1913; PPIE, 1915 (medal); SFAA, 1916, 1919 (silver medal); Del Monte Art Gallery; Oakland Art Gallery, 1916; Beaux Arts Gallery (SF), 1926-31; Bohemian Club, 1928, 1932, 1935, 1946; AIC; Paris Salon; SFMA Inaugural, 1935; GGIE, 1939; Foundation of Western Art, 1941.
In: De Young Museum; Utah State Univ.; Oakland Museum; Museum of Modern Art (Paris); Luxembourg Museum (Paris); Mills College (Oakland).
Edan Hughes, ''Artists in California, 1786-1940''